On The Inside Looking Out—5 Ways To Make Your Yard Look Better From The Windows
Designing a backyard that works best includes planning for how it appears when viewed through your home's windows. While it's important to consider all the viewing angles, some of the most used angles will be seen from inside. How can you create a yard that looks better from inside the house looking out? Here are 5 tips to get you started.
1. Plan Ahead. Creating the best view of your yard includes thinking about what the yard will look like in the future. While trees and shrubs are young and growing in, they may look too far apart or may appear flimsy or too small for the space. But it's important to think about the end result since that will last much longer than the nurturing period.
2. Plant Flowers. Flowers help mask a variety of problems in your yard. Window boxes filled with annuals give an immediate uplift to the view from any window. Planting colorful garden beds can also help provide a focal point to large, undecorated spaces or hide unsightly outbuildings or equipment.
3. Focal Points. One good way to draw your guests' eyes to the best part of your yard is to create a focal point to direct them. Depending on the size and style of your yard, a focal point can be small or large and it can be simple or complex. A large space might call for a bubbling water feature like a pond or water fountain. A smaller space may benefit from a colorful flower bed or a simple bench as a focal point. Either way, the idea is the same—help viewers focus on the positive aspects.
4. Use Containers. Container gardening isn't just for the patio. Large pots, vases, or boxes can be used to place greenery—even trees and shrubs—or beautiful flowers exactly where they will be seen the best. You can layer large and small containers to create a fuller look, or group them together for a natural focal point.
5. Think Vertical. When considering the views from your house, don't forget to go upward with your landscaping or architecture. Pergolas or arbors help hide flaws in the yard and also give your garden a sense of dimension. Lift the viewers' eyes off the ground with hardscaping like a decorative fence, columns, or classical statuary.
For more information about landscape design, consider contacting companies like Waynesboro Nurseries Inc.
Whether your yard is large or small or oddly shaped, you can create the view that you want with a little creativity. If you're not sure how to incorporate any of these elements into your landscaping, it may be best to work with a professional landscape designer so that you get off on the right foot. Then, all that's left is to sit back, relax and enjoy the look of your beautiful yard.