Top 4 Tips For The Best Lawn
Want to make all your neighbors green with envy? One of the best and most eye-catching ways is to have the best lawn on the block. With the right landscaping and maintenance, your lawn will be in top shape. Here are four tips on having a great lawn:
1. Start with the best
One of the easiest ways to a great lawn is to hire a commercial landscaping company to plan a lawn for you and create it. Then, simply follow the landscaper's recommended maintenance. If you don't have much free time, a green thumb, or design skills, this is the best way to start.
2. Know how to mow
Sure, you know how to mow, but do you know the best way? Often, the secret for beautiful, green grass is in the mowing technique. Here are general tips:
- Keep the blades sharp. Sharpen them at least once a month in the spring and summer.
- Mow once a week.
- While mowing, mow two strips around the perimeter of your yard. Then, work from one side to the other by mowing in straight, parallel lines.
- Use a grass feeder while mowing.
- Edge your lawn with an edger, especially around garden beds, walkways, and your driveway.
3. Feed and water
Your lawn needs food and water, just like you and your family. You need to know how much food and water to give your lawn. Too little or too much will leave it looking brown and drab. Here are some guidelines:
- Water your lawn once a week for 30 minutes to an hour. This prevents over-watering, and also ensures that there's enough water to get down to the roots.
- Feed your lawn in the spring, summer, and fall. Feed more often if you live in a harsher climate or your soil is lacking nutrients.
- Choose a lawn feed that contains macronutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, as well as micronutrients like copper and iron.
4. Baby your lawn in the winter
Just because you don't need to mow your lawn in the winter doesn't mean you can ignore it completely. Your lawn needs special care in the winter to keep it looking great. Here are some winter lawn care tips:
- Aerate your lawn
- Apply fertilizer
- Keep the leaves raked
- Make sure all weeds are pulled
- Keep your lawn clear of snow and salt
These are four tips that will get you the best lawn. Call a professional that specializes in commercial landscaping in your local area, such as Boyer WH, for more tips or a consultation.